Saturday, June 28, 2014

Sweet and Spicy Turkey Meatloaf

I put together this meatloaf last week and it was a hit! So I knew I had to share the recipe, both so you could make it, and so I wouldn't forget it :)

Sweet and Spicy Turkey Meatloaf
1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 med white onion, chopped ( I actually used 5 very small onions out of my Papa's garden)
1 lg jalapeno, chopped
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup bbq sauce + enough to cover the top ( I used Kraft with brown sugar, because it was on sale)
2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs ( If your breadcrumbs are fine you may only want to use 1 cup and see if you need more. I was using homemade breadcrumbs which I did not chop up very fine)
2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp fresh ground black pepper
2 tsp celery salt
1 Tbsp garlic powder
(The seasoning measurements are approximate, I always just sprinkle til it looks like enough. One of the things I love about cooking is that it doesn't have to be an exact science, so feel free to have fun & experiment!)

Melt the butter in a skillet, and saute the bell pepper, onion, and jalapeno until nicely caramelized.
Preheat oven to 350.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together the turkey, 1/2 cup BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, eggs, breadcrumbs, and seasonings. Once the onions and peppers are caramelized, mix them into the meat as well. Once fully combined, pat the meat into a loaf pan. I highly recommend the one I have, it is 2 pans, the pan the meat goes in has holes in the bottom so the extra grease runs out of the meatloaf and into the second pan. If you do not have a special pan like this, then you can add extra breadcrumbs to soak up the grease.
Spread more BBQ sauce over the top of the meatloaf. Cook at 350 for 1 hour. Enjoy!

And if you want to make this South Beach Diet friendly, use sugar free BBQ sauce & make sure your breadcrumbs are made from whole grain &/or sourdough breads.


No comments:

Post a Comment