Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Fresh Fish

On our quest to eat healthier, I decided to find a way to make fish that Hubby would eat! The first step was starting with the freshest fish I could find, which led me to Atkins Seafood.
This is a tiny half fish market half seafood lunch spot in Waxahachie, TX.
So of course I got lunch before buying my fresh fish :) Blackened Fish Tacos with pineapple salsa, and a side of black bean salad. These were hands down the best seafood tacos I've ever had! I thought the black beans could have used a little more seasoning, but they were a nice complement to the spicy fish.
Then it was time to pick what fish we would be having for dinner :) The lady behind the counter told me, you pick your fish and pay for the whole thing, then if you would like they will fillet it for you.
She told me Red Snapper was their most popular fish, so that is what I chose, and I got it filleted with the skin on.
Then I brought it home to cook :)
Blackened Red Snapper
9oz Red Snapper Fillets, skin on (about 2 fillets)
2 tsp canola oil
1/2 Tbsp Salt
1/2 Tbsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/2 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Mix salt, paprika, garlic, cayenne, and pepper together in small bowl.
(What you see in this pic is twice as much seasoning, I ended up only needing half, and adjusted suggested measurements accordingly)
On Clean work surface cut several small slits in skin to keep it from curling while cooking. Flip fish and generously season meaty side. Heat small cast iron skillet over medium heat. If only one fillet will fit in you skillet, then add 1 tsp oil and allow to heat without smoking. If both fillets will fit, then add 2 tsp oil and let heat. Once oil is hot, place fish, seasoning side down into skillet and set timer for 3 minutes.
After 3 minutes flip fish and allow skin side to cook for 2 minutes. Remove fish and allow to drain on paper towel lined plate. At this point you can add the second tsp of oil and second fillet if you did not cook them together. You can peel the skin away from the fish before serving, or the meat will gently flake off the skin while eating.
I also made Crustless Swiss Chard Pie from The Skinnytaste Cookbook to go with our fish.
Blackened Red Snapper, Crustless Swiss Chard Pie, Sauteed Green Beans, and homemade (kinda) Horseradish Sauce ( 1 single serving size fat free greek yogurt, 1 Tbsp Penzey's Horseradish dip mix, 1 tsp dried dill)
Served on our fancy china ;)
It happened ya'll! Hubby said the fish was his favorite thing on the plate! This is a man who has always hated fish! I was so excited! Fresh fish is clearly the key!! Hubby's mom also really enjoyed it. Though she said it was pretty spicy, so take that into consideration when using the cayenne. We all also really enjoyed the swiss chard pie! We always enjoy sauteed green beans (I had to have something on the plate that we had eaten and liked before!) The horseradish dip was surprisingly good on the swiss chard, however I thought it had a tangyness (hello greek yogurt) that did not meld well with the fish.

I highly recommend this dish! And if you too are hesitant to eat fish, find a fresh fish market, and let them change your mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment