Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Using up the Spinach

This weekend I bought spinach at Kroger because it was buy one get one, and the great thing about spinach is you can use it in your salads, & then when it starts getting to the use it or toss it stage you can throw it all in a skillet with some butter. So my spinach was getting to that use it or toss it stage yesterday, so I decided to make spinach enchiladas. No, I have never made spinach enchiladas before, but I had an idea of how it might be good :) So instead of turning to my bookshelf of cookbooks, I decided to wing it. I was very pleased with what I came up with, so I wanted to share it with you.
First I made mexican shredded chicken, which was the only thing I didn't wing, because I was chicken ;) While that was simmering I cut up one large purple onion & sauteed it with about 1/2 Tbsp of butter (when I put measurements in recipes that I create you should know they are approximate & only for your benefit because I'm really bad about not measuring while I cook, whatever looks good is how I measure). Then once the onion was slightly translucent I added my spinach & sauteed it all together.
Once the chicken was finished cooking & shredded like the recipe said, (& tasted for good measure, which let me tell you I will be using this chicken recipe for all my Mexican chicken dishes!) I added the spinach mixture to the chicken & stirred it all together. Then I added a spoonful of the chicken/spinach mixture to a corn tortilla & sprinkled about a tsp of pepper jack cheese in it. I continued until I had emptied the pot of all chicken & had filled 2 cake pans with enchiladas :) Next I folded each enchilada up & covered them with sour cream to keep them closed & sprinkled about 1/2 cup of pepper jack cheese over the top. Then I baked for 20 minutes at 350.
So If you can make since of that rambling recipe then I hope you decide to try it. They were very good! Hubby & I discussed next time they should be cooked a little longer, maybe 30 minutes, but we were so hungry we didn't want to wait any longer. We also thought they could have used more cheese, but there isn't anything that wouldn't be better with more cheese.
Let me know if you give these enchiladas a try, & if you made any changes to the recipe. When I make new recipes I usually change them a little every time I cook them until I perfect to mine & Hubby's liking :) So I will be happy to try out any changes you think of.

No comments:

Post a Comment