Thursday, March 22, 2012

Growing Up Too Soon

We are about to leave the house to go stand in line to see The Hunger Games! I am so excited! I read all the books & wanted more, so when I heard a movie was being made I was ecstatic!
But before we go I just wanted to share something with you that has been troubling me. Why do they always use adults to play teen parts in movies and TV shows?
The girl playing Katniss in The Hunger Games is in her 20's. The cast of Glee are all adults even though they are playing high school students (which was their cop-out reason for why it was ok for them to all pose inappropriately for GQ). Even Harry Potter, by the time they got around to the last movies, they were all much older than they were portraying.
My issue with this trend is that it makes the "teens" on TV look much more mature than they should, which makes real life teens feel like they should look more mature.
I don't think that Hollywood is trying to tell teens that they should look like these adults. I understand that the laws are much more strict for how long minors can work, so it's much easier to give the parts to people 18 and up. I just feel like we are skipping that growing up time, and it makes me very sad for these young people.

No comments:

Post a Comment